Our Savior's Lutheran Church
99 Years in Service.
Rev. Russel D. Reimers----Vacancy Pastor
The beginning of our Savior's Evangelical Congregation at
Ceylon, Mn., formerly known as St. John's Evangelical
Lutheran Church, dates back as far as can be ascertained,
to the year 1870. Little is known concerning the history
of this church until 1884. in that year Pastor P. Masse
from Algona Ia. explored the territory and found three
families which desired his services. In 1896, the Wilbert
congregation called its second resident pastor, Rev. F,
Schmiege, who then served a small group of members in
Ceylon. In 1900, a constitution was adopted and signed by
the following: F. Prust, J. Wiedow, W. Busse, W. Reiman,
A Koehler, H. Hillman, O. Miedke. It resolved to build a
House of God. In 1926, Pastor Paul G. Mueler was
installed . At this time the new church was built and
dedication took place Nov. 27, 1927. Our current Pastor
will be installed at Our Saviors, Ceylon, August 8, 1999.
He is Pastor David Wetmore and will be serving
both our Saviors and St. Johns, Dunnell.
St. Peter's Lutheran Church
104Years in Service
Rev. Matt Boedecker
The first church services was held
Oct.18, 1885 by Rev. E.G. Eisenberg of Welcome in
District 32, The Stone Schoolhouse located 1 mile west
and 2 miles north of Ceylon. This served eight or nine
families. More German families arrived Illinois and
joined the group.
St Peter's constitution was drawn
up August 12, 1895 ans signed by August Schueler,Herman
Schueler,Dietrich Stelter, Dietrich Dickman Fritz Poppe
and 13 other charter members.
In the fall of 1895 the church was built on the north
shore of Clear Lake on land donated by August Schueler.
A parsonage with a schoolroom upstairs was built in 1897.
The first resident pastor was Rev. H. Zaph in 1897.
In 1905 a schoolhouse was built as well as a horse barn.
1915 the church was enlarged and a belltower added.Before
the church's 25th anniversary a bell was installed. This
bell has been in the new church tower since 1962.
June l5, 1919 Walter Nassen, son of Fred Nassen was
ordained by Pastor Guetzlaff.
Sunday school was organized in 1924. Ladies Aid Society
was organized in 1925 and Luther League
Choir services were conducted in both English and German
. German services was reduced to one service a month then disappeared.
1931 the pipe organ was installed, a light plant was
purchased for the parsonage and church and later REA was
available. The horse barns were torn down making parking
room for autos.The church members celebrated the church's
50th anniversary with a huge picnic on the church lawn
Aug 26, l945.
l948 the L. Larson house in Ceylon was purchased for a
parsonage and a lot just west was purchased to build a
Construction of the brick building began in April, the
cornerstone laid July 22, l951 and dedication was July 8,
l957 a brotherhood was organized . Pastors from this
church also serves the Dolliver Lutheran Church. Bible
study groups meet and Vacation Bible school is held every
Pastors serving the church were: C.G,Eisenberg,Henry
Zaph, Paul Liedtke, A.W.E. Goetzlaff, S.F
Bredow,W.O.Langholz, Harold C. Kaphingst, Waldemor Storm,
Sanford Sill, Mark Bents, Gerold Sevig, Randy Chrissis,
Jerry Lanes . .
The church mortgage was burned June 1961. A new parsonage
was built and dedicated March 20, l966.
1998 the church office was moved from the parsonage to
the church basement.
At present Pastor Matthew Boedecker is serving the
United Methodist of Church
98 Years in Service
Rev. Gordon Patterson
In 1870 the Methodist Church Conference sent circuit
pastors who walked mostly to Rolling Green, Tenhassen and
Lake Belt Townships to preach in various homes It was
decided to build a Methodist Episcopal Church in l902.
The trustees met and chose Herb
Poageas chairman,C.R Belknap as secretary, T.W. Hawthorne
as treasure. They planned to solicate funds in the amount
of $2,000 to build a church.
Church and Sunday School services were held in Clark's
Hall until the church was built. The Ladies Aid met in
Building of the church began in l904 . The new church was
finished in time to conduct the Christmas services.
1925 Rev Julius Hitcock has the basement enlarged to full
Theodore Mondale had charge from 1927 to l932. Mrs
Mondale organized the chior of many voices.
1944 Rev. Lane revived the youth groupand confirmed a
large group in 1945.
In 1951 the parsonage was moved from the east end of town
to it's present location.
1954 the ne organ was installed, Gladys Krosch was
organist and chior director.
Student pastors Karl and Sandra Schiltz served as pastors
when the church celebrated their 75th anniversary in
Recently the church members decided they has no use for
the parsonage and it was purchased by Glen and Clara
METHODIST MINISTERS 0F CEYLON
Dec.1902 - 1903 Rev. J.W. McPeak
1903 - 1907 - Rev. Robert Phillips
1907-Rev. Nelson Brown
1907-Rev. J.L Mckelvey
1907-Rev. Herbert Deck
1911-Rev.- George Lee
1911-Rev. Irvin R. Stephen
1912 -1913 - Rev. Jenkins
1913 - 1916 - Rev. E. Spencer Earl
l916 - l 923 - Rev.George Williams
1923 - 1925 - Rev. J.W. Walker
1925 - 1927 - Rev. Julius Hitchcock
1927 - 1932 - Rev. Theodore Mondale
1932 - 1935 - Rev. John Holm
1935 - 1940 - Rev. Lee Wilson
June 1940 - 1944 - Rev. George Powell
Oct. 1944 - l945 - Rev. Louis Lane
June 1946- 1949. Rev. Fred Kain
Nov. 1949 - 1955 Rev. Wilbert Traver
1955 - 1960 - Rev. David Stanley McGuire
1960 - 1961 - Rev. John Rossiter
1961 - 1964 - Rev. Norman Lawton
1964 - 1967 - Rev. Harvey Anderson
1967 - 1969 - Rev. Norman Laughman
1969 - 1970 - Supply Minister
1970 - 1973 - C. Lewis Miller
1973 - 1977 - Rev. Ken & Dale Trana
1977 - 1982 - Rev. Karl & Sandra Schiltz
1982 - 1985 - Rev. Dan Doughty
1984 - 1988 - Rev. John Morris
1988 - 1991 - Rev. Gary Walpole
1991 - 1993 - Rev. John Marburger
1993 - 1995 - Rev. Del Coleman
1994 - 1998 - Rev. Gordon Patterson
St. John's United Church of
Christ 104 Years of Service
Pastor Harwood Shaffer
On August 15, 1895 a meeting was held at the home of
Henry Rosrnberg Sr. in Tenhassen township to form a
church. The following officers were elected. President :
Henry Rosenberg Sr., Secretary: , Fred Rosenberg,
Treasure: Conrad Brutsch. Those also present were Kossuth
Hoffman, Walter Hoffmeyer, Ed Hoffmeyer, Gottfried
Schmidt, August Rosenberg and Charles Bartling. They
affiliated with the Evangelical Synod of North America
and was named St John's Evangelical Church.
On Auguat 30 1895 the first service
was conducted by Rev.L. Mack. The Ceylon church shared a
Pastor with the Fairmont congregation until 1906.
The church was built in 1896 in
Tenhassen Township . In February 1905 the church was
moved from Tenhassen township to Ceylon. Because of the
narrow bridge the church had to be moved across the ice
on Tuttle Lake.
Beginning in 1906 the Ceylon and
Welcome churches shared the same ministers until 1941.
The Evangelical and reformed Church
formed in 1934.
In 1936 the church records were
lost in a tornado.
In 1940 the church was turned to
face the south. A full basement was dug, a new
chancel.and vestibule were built into the church and the
church interior was remodeled. In 1941 the Ceylon church
called it's first resident minister.
On October 12, 1939 the Ladies Aid
was organized with the assistance of Pastor and Mrs.
Meier. The firs meeting was held at the home of Mrs. Bill
Abel, Mrs, Howard Champine, Mrs. Allen Christensen,
Mrs.Walter H. Hoffmeyer Jr. Mrs. Walter Hoffmeyer Sr
.Mrs. Kossuth Hoffmeyer, Mrs. Ted McMurtry, Mrs. Harold
Plath, Mrs. Ernest Rosenberg, Mrs. Gottfried Schmidt,
Mrs. Henry Schmidt, Mrs. Ralph Schmidt, Mrs. William
Schmidt, Mrs Alfred Sorenson, and Mrs B.K. Swink.
Mrs. Allan (Alice) Christensen,
Treasure: Mrs.Robert (Eileen) Christensen.
1957 the church became known as the
St. John's United Church of Christ--E& R.Over the
years the following improvements have been made. Balcony
1951,electric organ 1953, stained glass, new altar,
pulpit, and lecturn in 1963.new light fixtures 1969, new
padded pews, wall to wall carpeting,back addition, 2
furnaces, 2 rest rooms and rear exit in 1970, front entry
additiion in 1974 and 2 ceiling fans in 1986.
Since 1960 the church has shared a
Pastor with the Congregastional lst Church UCC of
Sherburn. Our centennial year was celebrated in 1995. Rev
Paul Sherry , president of the United Church of Christ
from Ohio came and gave the sermon for the church
service, followwed by a noon meal and an afternoon of
visiting at the Ceylon Legion. Many former ministers and
their wives returned for the centennial celebration and
spoke durning the afternoon.
La Vina Champine has been the
church organist for over 60 years.
PRESENT OFFICERS FOR ST. JOHN'S UCC
President: John Schmidtke
Vice President: Charles Schmidt
also Financial Secretary
Sectrary: Shirley Schmidt
Deacon: Orville Dickmann
Eldor: Nick Schmidt
Deacon: L Vina Champine
Eldor: Ray Scheff
Submitted by LaVina Champine and
St. Paul's Lutheran Church --Wilbert
109 Years in Service
Rev. Russel D. Reimers
In the l880's Rev P. Maesse conducted services in the
Drake School, section 15. August 1889 Pastor Becker,
Sherburn served these families. 1980 these same this same
group of German Lutherans organized St paul's Lutheran
Church and School and immediately incorporated. Twelve
members signed the constitution.
Six acres of land was bought from John Drake. A 24' x 36'
church bulding was built and used for both church and
office. The church stood where the present school now
stands. The first teacher was Karl Kroelich. 1892 the
first resident Pastor was Pastor W. Becker. The parsonage
was built and now serves as the school. 1895 the bell
tower was erected. In 1900 F.L. Bode assumed the position
of full-time teacher. In l938, electricty was installed.
And in 1949, the church received a full basement. A pipe
organ was installed in 1950 the art glass windows. Air
Conditioning was installed in the church in 1974.The
interior was remodeled in 1965.
The Rev. Robert Hintz was installed in 1978 and served
for 15 years. He was followed by Rev Russell Reimers, who
now serves the Wilbert Church and is vacancy pastor for
both Ceylon and Dunnell churches.
Wilbert Church School From
the beginning, Christian Education was important to the
people of the Wilbert Church. A Christian day school was
operated since the beginning. The 1965 enrollment reached
89 students in grades 1-8. Due to declining enrollment,
it was voted to turn to 2 classrooms. In 1977, Marv
Erdman served as principal and taught the upper grades.
At that time, Sharon Schultz taught the lower grades. In
1991, Sharon Patrick took over the teaching of the lower
Marv Erdman retired from his position at the Wilbert
school on June 30 after a career of teaching for 42
years, 31 of them at the Wilbert School. Wilbert sent
well over 50 people into church work through the
years--many are still active in the church as teachers
information about a Ceylon Church,
Fill in the boxes below and click ONCE on "Submit